Friday, February 17, 2012

Improv, Michael Scott Style

Just kidding. This improv is actually pretty good. 



This outfit is a) entirely put together by things I've had in my closet/jewelry drawer for around half a year, b) I came up with it lying in bed last night (albeit with some improv in the a.m.), and c) totally based around the shoes. Let's take all these things in abc order, shall we?

a) If there is a better example of the entire point of this closet shopping experience, I can't think of one. Every single component of this outfit has been worn several times (except for one, but we'll get to that in c), but never together in this way. In fact, probably only the shirt and one of the three necklaces has ever been out in public together. Speaking of the three necklaces, this is the first time I've ever done the whole necklaces in descending order thing, and I really liked it. And yes, I mixed metals. I do it every day with my wedding rings and my late Grandma Thames' wedding band, so I'm used to it. Try it sometime!

b) Right before I went to sleep, I thought up this outfit. I'd love to say that I dreamed it, but I didn't. It was a little different, though. Instead of the ruffle vest, I originally planned to put a boxy Gap sweatshirt  top over it, but when I tried it on this morning, it didn't look as good as it did in my head. But never give up! I stood in my closet for a minute, grabbed the vest doubtfully, tried it on and said, "Definitely."

c) The shoes. Sigh. They were all over J.Crew this fall/winter. That's why when I saw these in TJMaxx for $20 something, I grabbed them. And then couldn't figure out how to wear them. Yes, I had dozens of pictures to go by, but they always looked stupid on me. I have short legs and all my pants were too long for them. Or if I cuffed them, the cuff looked too bulky. It was when I bought those grass green pants that the solution came to me: roll them up towards the inside instead. Yes ma'am, these shoes were getting worn today. Rolling them to the inside was a little tight, because these particular jeans almost swallow my whole foot, but it worked! The trick with these ankle bootie shoes (for me, at least) is that you have to show a little flash of ankle skin to make them look good. Otherwise they look kind of dumpy.

Now we're getting into the nitty gritty of this self-imposed challenge. Most of my outfits before had things that were semi new included in them. This was the first real test. I'll be really digging into my closet from now on. Wish me luck.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment