Friday, December 16, 2011

Why do owls even *need* ears?

Let me tell you a story...

One day, I went into TJMaxx looking for treasures. Back in the home section, I found several mercury glass owls, just like these that I wanted from West Elm. But instead of $14, these were only $5! A bargain!

But there were no silver ones. Only gold. And I didn't want gold. But I really, really wanted an owl.

So what happened the third time I walked down that aisle trying to talk myself into needing that gold owl?

I saw a whole other stack of them on a bottom shelf. Could there be...?

The first one I pulled out was indeed silver, but it had a broken ear, so I reached for another. But it was gold. Another...gold. Gold. They were all gold.

The only silver owl was the one broken ear.

But as I looked at the little broken silver owl, I had a thought--"It doesn't look so bad," I told myself. "And maybe since it's broken...I can get a discount!"

So I took it up to the counter and asked the cashier if I could get a discount b/c it was broken. She took it to the manager. As they talked, I got my money out of my wallet. I was ready to own that broken owl.

And that's when the manager told me that they couldn't sell me the broken owl, because it was dangerous. I left empty-handed, owl-less and confused: a store....wouldn't sell me something that I was totally ready to pay for, broken or not.

Fast forward two weeks, when I visited TJMaxx again. There, on a shelf, was my dangerous, broken owl. This time, it would be different. This time, I would beat TJMaxx. This time, the owl would be mine.


I took it up to the cashier. I waited nervously as she rang up the owl, practically sweating as my transaction was approved, biting my nails as she carefully wrapped up the owl.

Almost fist pumping the air when she handed me the receipt and the bag. The bag containing my silver mercury glass owl.

It wasn't until I walked out of TJMaxx resisting the urge to skip across the parking lot that I realized I was delirious with happiness about successfully purchasing a damaged knick knack.




Sigh,

T




No comments:

Post a Comment